Winter Reno Sandwich

Hey all.  So it's March and I think so far in 2015, I've blogged twice?  Pretty bad, I know.  In my defense, we're stuck between a renovation and THE NEVER ENDING WINTER.



My motivation and inspiration are low and moments occur at random.  I'm pouring coffee down the hatch each morning in an attempt to supercharge myself, but it still ends with me thinking how much nicer it would be to curl up under the blankets and watch more Netflix.

I've got a couple of Easter-y spring things churning in my mind that I'll try to put together to share soon.  I actually got some of my eggs out yesterday, in the hopes that it would somehow jump start a spring-y feeling.



Today and tomorrow, not so much- but look at that extended forecast baby-

That's almost flip flop weather.  You think I'm joking don't you?

Today I'll give you a little glimpse into our reno.  A little bit of a backstory- when we bought our house almost 9 years ago, it was operating as a bed and breakfast.  The upstairs had been converted into a suite for that- with a living room, kitchenette, 3 piece bath and a bedroom.  We haven't used that space for our own family in all that time.  We reno-ed our downstairs- old plaster, uneven floors, plumbing and electrical in 2012 to get what we have now.  Since then, we've considered selling our house a few times, and always the sticking point was that upstairs. (WE'RE NOT MOVING, SETTLE DOWN)  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't usable for a family space.  So this year, we decided to jump in.  Originally we were going to make it rooms for the kids, but in talking with our contractor (who is awesome) we decide to make it into a master suite.  As much as I don't want to think about it, down the road, my kids are not going to want to hang out with me.  It's shocking isn't it?  I'm pretty awesome.  And that statement right there is exactly why my kids will want me to drop them off three blocks from school.

Here's the plan.

Pretty high tech there, isn't it.

Here's what we've got right now.


 





It doesn't look like much, I know.  But it will be.  Or so they tell me.  Here's some finer points- the floors were so bad.  They were out 5 INCHES.  Yup. so that had to all be ripped up and levelled out. The walls were plaster lathe- that was a mess and an entire gigantic dumpster load already.  The door is going to be replaced by a window.  And that column in the middle?  That's the chimney, that's staying and going to be worked around.

So what are we going to do- that's the question, am I right?

As you can see on the plan, if you can understand it, a bedroom, full bath and a WALK IN CLOSET!!!  I cannot express enough how excited I am about that. When I was a kid, my brother had the big closet- the walk in closet- I did not.  This is exciting business for me.

Bedroom



This area here.  I don't have a solid idea yet- but here's some of  my inspirations.





(via Jenna Sue)

I love this bedroom.  Our headboard is a similar colour, and the dark grey with pops of white and navy.  I really love it. The setup, the textures, the colours.  Love it.  Did I mention that I love it?

But then the funner (I know it's not a word, but it serves the purpose) part of me loves this.

bedroom_curtainsvelvet_bed

(via Handmade Home)

Colour.  It's so pretty.  What a shocker, it's blue.  I know.  Tim likes this too.  He loves colour.  If we go this route, I'm thinking I may slipcover our headboard in a pop of colour, maybe emerald like here, maybe something else.  I don't know.

Bathroom




Two sinks, a shower and a tub.  I love me a nice tub.  I'm a bath girl.  You may think that's gross. You may stop reading this blog now.  But I will never, EVER give up my bath.  It's going to have a ton of natural light.  Both windows and the door (which will be a window) will be in the room.  So I want to keep it light and bright.  White, grey and .... you'll never guess.... blue!  I'm so mysterious.

I actually have two things for this room already.


This jam cupboard- which we picked up at one of my favourite little shops- Attic Treasures.  Bonny knows me well.  I also grabbed this there.

I haven't found the right frame yet, but this is so cool.  I love it.  If you're local, go and check out Bonny's shop- she's on Facebook too.
This room is proving a little more difficult to hammer out exactly what I want.

I love this
IMG_5737psVintage bathroom www.somuchbetterwithage.com
(via)                                                                             (via)


and this

Master Bath Decor

(via)

Subway tile with dark grout and I'm thinking hex tile on the floor.  This week.

If you want to see more of my ideas, hop on over to Pinterest and you can follow my train of thought... it might be overwhelming, just warning you.

I'll be back in a bit to share some easy Easter diys and I'll update you on the reno progress as it goes along.  Until then,  I'll be here.  Huddled under my blanket.  Wishing hard for spring.

Comments