Getting it done January

I'm ba-ack.  I hope you had a great holiday season and are off to a happy start this shiny new year. My November/December flew by at lightning speed.  It was like in the movies when the calendar pages flip by and I couldn't slow it down or get ANYTHING done. And that's hard for me- cause I love Christmas.







And now, here we are almost half way into January, and I'm vowing to myself, after a Laura-fail December, I'm getting it done (or at least started!).

Here's the plan(s).


1.  Finish (finally) upstairs.  So that's fill holes, paint touch ups, hang stuff.  Finishing things that weren't desperately important.  After the time we spent waiting for the reno to finish- I was burnt out. There's not much on the walls.  The stairs weren't painted and stained.  All that stuff that can wait till later- well, later is now!





2.  Laundry room.  Currently, our laundry situation kind of ....sucks.  Our laundry is in our basement- but it's not a nice, pretty basement.  It's a dark-ish, cement, old basement.  We have to cart the MOUNTAINS of laundry down and up the stairs.  It's just not ideal.  We have a bathroom at the back of our house, that we don't use much anymore- besides the toilet and sink, so the plan is to make it into a powder room/laundry room.  The thought of it just makes me want to dance like those chipmunks again.  I'll be documenting that project on here- we're going to DIY as much of it as we can.  Here's a couple of inspirations I found on Pinterest.


Source Brit+Co.

Fabulous laundry room inspiration ideas!
source Better Homes and Gardens

Fabulous laundry room design ideas!
source Mini Manor Blog

3.  Paint kitchen cupboards.  I posted last January about refreshing my kitchen.  I have been working away at it for the last few months but the cupboards have yet to be painted.  I'll share the updates so far soon.




4.  Paint living room.  This has been on my list for awhile.  It needs to get done, but we have some holes to patch and a bit of drywall work to do, so it won't get done until we drywall the laundry, but it's on the list.

5.  Office.  Organize. Organize. Organize.  And that (besides laundry) is my Mount Everest at home.

I want a desk like this.

file cabinet desk18
source Over the Big Moon

I have a piece very similar to this black one (in Emily from Jones Design Co.'s office) at home, and I want to do shelving similar to this over top.  To store my "stuff"- which is currently stashed in countless places around the house.

may2014
source Jones Design Company


5.  Get back to a healthier, more energetic, fit-er me.  Since last winter, I feel like I've been in a slump.  I used to work out (not anything crazy) but I really let it all slide.  I started walking every morning after the kids get on the bus with a great pal, but I have to do more.  I started this month by starting a Whole 30.


The Whole30: The 30-day Guide To Total Health And Food FreedomIt Starts With Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

(both of these books are available at Chapters Indigo, or probably at your local library!)

 It's a 30 day period where you eat no sugars, corn, grains, legumes, potatoes, alcohol and dairy. I tried this a couple years back and quit at day 15.  I'm really giving it my all this time.  I realized how poorly I've been eating and how much I rely on carbs - crackers, bread and how big of a sugar dragon I have to slay.  I'm at day 10 and am not going too crazy yet.  I'm cooking way more- and everyone is happy about that.  I'll update you on my progress.  I'm also going back to some workouts that I love- online.   I love the 10 minute workouts from Pop Sugar, and pilates from The Balanced Life and yoga from Do You Yoga.


Those are my plans. Not too grand, not too small.  Enough to keep me busy in January and, I'm sure, a few months more.

If you want to see the progress- follow along on Instagram  You'll see what's going on, and see if I'm keeping up the pace!

Have a great week, and I'll catch up with you again soon.

~laura

Comments