industrial style hanging shelves

 Hello!  It's been awhile since I've checked in over here.  Winter has been long and I have pretty much been hibernating- the imprints of my body on my couch are undeniable evidence.

Even though I've been quiet around here, and generally slothing about, we have gotten one project knocked off the list- our hanging shelves in the kitchen.

If you remember, when we built the house, I didn't want any upper cupboards on the back wall of the kitchen.  I had always wanted some kind of shelving, but messing up that beauty tile was not high on my to do list, so we took our time and planned it out.


We talked about doing regular bracketed shelves, but I do change my mind every so often and Tim didn't want to drill into the tile if in a year or so I say I don't like them.  Which, knowing me, could very well happen.

I did a little crowd sourcing on my Insta-stories and my buddy Laurie from Vin'Yet Etc. sent me the best inspiration.

Check this out.



Man, I love that.  I love that whole house.

I showed Tim the picture, and he really liked it too.  Looks simple enough, right?

Hahahaha.

Nope.

We knew we needed wood for the shelves, plumbing pipe and flanges.  No big deal.

At first we thought, attach the flanges to the ceiling, screw in the pipes and ease on down the road.

Ok, maybe if we could have found ceiling joists.

Maybe then.

A million holes in the ceiling later......

We did a whole lot of investigating our ceiling at that point. Even cutting an access to the attic in our son's closet to we could see what we were dealing with.  We ended up calling our builder and came to find out, that in new builds they don't attach the drywall ceiling to the wood joists- there's metal ones first so when the wood shrinks and expands, you don't have cracked ceilings.


via GIPHY

What we ended up doing, was make a board to mount to the ceiling. It matches the shelves, and would catch the joists (that we now knew the location of) with looooooong screws.


Then, the rest of our plan easily fell into place....


We bought our pipes in pre-measured lengths, we didn't cut them or anything.  We just planned out the spacing according to what we knew was available.  There are four pipes and eight flanges here- four at the top, four at the bottom- and we threaded them on as we went.


Another four pipes, and other eight flanges.

We (my dad) painted the pipes and flanges with black semi-gloss spray paint after we degreased them.  Pipes aren't nice and tidy things to work with, isn't that shocking?




I just love how these turned out.  They are hung only from the ceiling- the entire tile wall is blemish free.

These cost a couple hundred dollars to do, but I think it was well worth it and they look like a million bucks.  I would totally do it again and recommend them to anyone who is wanting to hang some shelves, but doesn't want to drill into the walls.




Swing back next week, for a fun kitchen post- it's a good one, I promise!

Comments

Sheila said…
These turned out amazing Laura. I totally love what you've done! Great job!!