books i've been reading....

I don't know about you, but I seem to read the most in the winter months.  It's cold, gets dark early and while I'm not against spending time outside, I'm not hanging out on my porch for a couple hours at the end of the day.

I am always interested in what everyone else is reading- just in case there's something great that has slipped past my view.  I find that's the case with a lot of people, and sometimes it opens you up to a new genre you wouldn't have tried before or a new author you've never heard of.  And sometimes it's a big old thumbs down, but there's so many books out there you're going to have that sooner or later.

Here's what I've been reading lately, and some that are on my to-read list.  If you have any suggestions for me to try out, please share!

Women Talking  by Miriam Toews

Women Talking: A Novel by Miriam Toews

This is one of those titles I had recommended to me.  I couldn't believe it when she told me the story line and that it was based on true events, so I quickly googled and did a little backstory research and I knew I had to read it.  It makes you think, it makes you sad, it makes you angry.  It's really the recording of a two day conversation amongst a group of women, so it's a little jumpy but I feel like that's what those kind of notes would be like.  I liked it and would recommend it.

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Before The Fall by Noah Hawley

This was on my to-read list last time I talked books, and I'm glad I followed through!  This is a mystery suspense book and it starts with a plane crash.  Already two things that normally would have me bailing out- I'm not a real suspense reader and I HATE flying and plane crashes, just no.  The crash scene isn't graphic, and you're brought right into the story of the two people who survive- a painter and a four year old boy.  I was hooked on this story, I wanted to figure out what happened and why.  It's a great one to take on vacation (maybe don't read it on the plane) or even to save for summer.


Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals Of Artisan Bread And Pizza by Ken Forkish

Yes, a cookbook.  I have had this desire to make bread lately- maybe it's the carb craving winter months, I don't know.  I just love the satisfaction I get from making a gorgeous, tasty loaf of bread.  I do not like store bought white bread, but my family does- I'm on a quest to find the best loaf of a sandwich style bread so I can quit buying that crap.  I haven't gotten there yet, but I have found THE BEST PIZZA DOUGH EVER.  It makes a zillion pizzas, but man- it's so, so good.  I have yet to try the other recipes, but I will be.

Modern Jewish Baker

Modern Jewish Baker: Challah, Babka, Bagels & More by Shannon Sarna

Yes, another one.  What can I say?  I have just been on a baking kick.  I'm not Jewish, but these recipes remind me of some of the things my grandma used to make when I was a kid. And they are delicious.  I've made the cinnamon Babka- and, although it's time consuming, it's so good.  I've purchased some bread flour too, so I can try out the bagels and homemade pitas are on my list too.

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict

The Only Woman In The Room: A Novel by Marie Benedict

I love a story that has some historical element to it.  I am that weirdo that then researches about it and learns as much as I can- most times WHILE reading the book.  The book is based on Hedy Lamarr, and what a story it is.  I had no clue who she was when I checked this out, but once I started it and then did some of my research- wow.  Just wow. 

To-Read


Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Daughter Of Moloka'i: A Novel by Alan Brennert

I can't wait for this one.  I read Moloka'i and Honolulu by the same author and LOVED them.  

Because I liked The Only Woman in the Room, I have these two titles by the same author on my list as well:

The Other Einstein

The Other Einstein: A Novel by Marie Benedict

Carnegie's Maid

Carnegie's Maid: A Novel by Marie Benedict


And a couple of "lighter" ones for the spring

Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett

Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett

The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall

The Book Of Polly: A Novel by Kathy Hepinstall

I know I'll be adding to both of these lists as we move into the spring (yay!) and I'll be sure to let you know if I find some more must reads, and you do the same!

Happy reading!

Comments