diy boho inspired wall hanging



Hello again!  Hope you have had a great week so far- we're so excited over here, March (spring) break starts this weekend, and it's not soon enough for me!  I swear once this hits, the rest of the school year flies and summer is here before you know it!  And the older I get, the more of a struggle winter is for my brain, I think I might need one of those sun lamps or something.  Or just win the lottery and become a snowbird at a young age.  Either or.

If you were over here last week, you'll remember I did a Thrift the look Boho decor challenge  It was great fun, and I seriously can't wait for the next one.  In that challenge, I used a boho inspired wall hanging that I told you I would give you the DIY deets on this week.

It's so darn easy and so darn cute.

Let me start this off by saying that this is a no-sew version.  If you are so inclined, sew this baby up instead.  But, if you are like me- the sewing machine maniacally laughs whenever I go near it.  So it's glue gun for me.

Start with your background fabric- for this project, I used drop cloth.  I love drop cloth- you can tear it, and it tears in a straight line and the edges have a nice fray.  Plus it's cheap and I swear, I buy one and it goes on for project after project after project.  This is about 12 inches by 16 inches.


Gather your trims.  I grabbed a bag of trims at the thrift store when I was shopping out my thrift challenge, the tassels are what caught my eye and it ended up working really well with the pom pom trim I already had at home.  I went with different neutrals on this and kept it very monochromatic. I think it makes the final look more polished and less DIY.  Except for the hot glue, I know.


I wasn't too technical in cutting my trims- I laid them out on the background diagonally, marked the centres and then did my best to cut mitres.  I hot glued this, so exacts were not necessary.





Once I had all the pieces cut, I simply glued them to the background fabric.  Be careful, hot glue likes to burn.  It's a real nasty little tool.  If you aren't sewing deficient, here's where you whip out your machine and make this look really nice.  And shake your head at me.



I didn't have any dowels at home the day I made this, but I had a stick.  Free sounds great, doesn't it?
Plus, it adds another natural element to this bohemian look.  But for reals, I was just lazy and cheap and scrounging worked out well this time.

At the top of your wall hanging- you need to fold a small pocket.  Probably 2 inches (5 cm) or so will work- as long as it's roomy enough to thread the dowel or stick through.  Glue (or sew) that down.



Use some twine, ribbon or leather cord (what I used) and tie it to the ends of the stick so you can hang your wall hanging.

 
I was really happy with how this turned out- even Tim said it turned out nice.  So if that isn't winning, I don't know what is.




Comments