Thrift the Look challenge- Eclectic decor


Hey all!  It’s been about a hundred years, but I’m still here!  My TTL pals have once again inspired me to bang away at the computer and blog a bit. Thank you for the big push Sarah! And honestly, you throw out the notion that I need to go to the thrift store for a reason beyond my own habit, I’m in. I’m in times 1000. 



Do you remember Thrift the Look?  If you go back on the blog here and here - you can take a look at some of the past ones I’ve taken part in. But for a quick refresh- we pick a theme, this round is eclectic decor (more on that in a minute) and then scour the interwebs for inspiration and a look to try and recreate or emulate in our own thrifty ways. So don’t forget to pop over to my pals’ pages and check out their TTL posts as well- the handy dandy links are at the bottom of the post!


Ok.  Eclectic decor.

So, I have always felt like I am a bit of an eclectic person, especially in my decor style.  It’s a blend of different styles that create a cohesive and unique look.  It usually mixes time periods and maybe things you wouldn’t expect to go together - it’s a little wonky but in the best way.  

Just like me.  Hahaha

My inspiration this time comes from the ultra fabulous Kate Pearce Vintage. 


Pretty fricking gorgeous, am I right?

If you’re a fan of Kate, as I am, you’ll know that she thrifted this look already- so I’m thrifting a thrifted look. If you haven’t checked her out on Instagram already, I really think you should.  It’s truly inspiring.

So what I wanted to recreate is a collection of portraits, the head statues and the overall layered look.  And while this is a black wall, it still reads colourful to me, and if you have been paying attention that’s not where I usually land.  

Here’s what I gathered together for my look, I already have the piano- I’m a good thrifter but I’m not that good.


These dog portraits are something I absolutely love. The two large ones I saw on our local thrift shop’s FB page and I RAN OUT OF THE HOUSE to go scoop them. They are fun and quirky and totally me.  And yes, I now collect dog portraits. 

I needed a lamp and I don’t have anything mid century like the one in the inspiration.  I just missed a good one when I was out thrifting the other day, but it just wasn’t meant to be.  Dang it.

I did have this glass lamp (thrifted, of course) but to get a similar feel, I needed to adjust a bit.  I took the harp off (the metal piece that supports the shade) and switched out my regular bulb for this beauty.


I love these bulbs from Globe Electric, they’re a little spendy, but worth every penny to me. 


My other dog portrait in this collection is not thrifted but a one near and dear to my heart. This is our old dog Casey, she passed away at the end of 2019.  She was just the best dog. I had an artist (Li and Lu Designs) paint this for me a couple years before and I’m so glad I did. 

The inspo also has some heads on the piano. And one of those heads is a clown. And I will say to you all NO. No no no no no. No clowns. You will see a total of zero clowns in this look or any look in my home for that matter. 



Instead, I have my ladies. The brown statue is thrifted, I still kick myself for not grabbing her brother that day!  And then two cement plant heads that I purchased new- cause even though I try, I just can’t thrift it all. 


This is Charlie. 
She is also not impressed that I can’t thrift it all. 

As I said earlier, there is usually a lot of colour in eclectic decor, and since that’s not something I have a lot of, to inject that colour, I threw in some plants.  Nothing adds life like some lovely lush green plants. 

I tried this setup when the portraits kept falling over and I was almost losing my mind, but plant lady was blocking Lord Scruffybum and we just can’t have that. 


So after a lot of sweating and swearing and general unladylike behaviour, this is where I landed with the final look. Eclectic, layered and thrifted. 






*****

And, as per usual, some of my blogging friends (aka, the Creative Vintage Darlings on Facebook), also took on their own versions of Thrift the Look: Eclectic Decor. I hope you’ll check out their ideas, as well. what is eclectic decor

Sadie Seasongoods | Vin'yet Etc.

eclectic room decor

One House 2 Barns | Little Vintage Cottage

thrift the look for eclectic decor

Lora Bloomquist | Join "Creative Vintage Darlings" on Facebook!

*****

Comments

YOU are my favourite human! xo Following Kate Pearce, thank you! This look is fantabulous! I truly don't need yet another collection BUT those dog portraits are SO good! THAT LIGHT BULB - blew my mind, seriously. It looks like it completely belongs on that lamp and the light it throws - chefs kiss! You nailed it lady, your version is spot on!
This is so gorgeous, Laura! I absolutely love your version! I am so inspired to play with my decor!
Tania Pelletier said…
WOW! This looks so good!! I am not usually into dog pictures but I love how you've used yours, they look great! and those light bulbs!!! I never knew they existed but I now HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!

Tania
Anonymous said…
This is fabulous! LOVE the dog portraits,I would really like to locate some of those. I like your finished look way better than the inspiration. Good going.
Paula@SweetPea said…
I love your version of your inspiration picture. Your collection of dog portraits is wonderful!
Sarah Ramberg said…
SO DANG GOOD!!! Oh my gosh, you just nailed it. From that crazy-mazing light bulb to everything else, bravo, bravo. And now I'm following Kate on IG!
Lora Bloomquist said…
The dog portraits are awesome! Such an amazing eclectic twist. And I love them with the plants and the head vases. Way cool vibe (2 thumbs up emogee)